This is a copy of a letter written by James R. Boone who lived in Jacksonville, Florida about our grandparents, James Franklin and Laura E. McGrath. Grandpa and Grandma met the Boones when they served a mission in Florida in 1937. James Boone's wife was a Flake girl originally from Snowflake and they have sons that are living there now. Augusta Flake is a sister to Mr. Boone's wife. Myrna and I knew her well. In fact, she was a fellow 4th grade teacher when I started teaching in Snowflake in 1964. Augusta gave me the letter before she died. There are a couple of errors in his information but I have written it word for word. I felt this was a very complimentary letter concerning our grandparents. Raymond
4 March 1976
Miss Augusta Flake
P. O. Box 277
Snowflake, Arizona 85937
Dear Sister Augusta,
Last year we discussed the McGrath family and I write to give such information as I have on this unusual people.
James McGrath was born about 1800 in Bibb County near Macon, Ga. Married Millie Kale his father was John.
Allen James McGrath born about 1825 Bibb County Ga. son of James and Millie married Martha Oliver they were the paarents of
James Alonzo McGrath who was born 7 Jan 1852 in Bibb County Ga. married Nancy Warnick and they had two children. Death over took this group in New Mexico and he reached Snowflake where I am told his last child died and was buried as the first to be in the Snowflake cemetery. He later married Deliliah S. Stewart and had several children as I read my notes. She was from Randolph City, Alabama. One of their children James Franklin McGrath born 19 Dec 1880 in Shumway, Arizona married Laura Elledge. It was to the home of Laura's father that the body of Elder Standage was taken near Dalton, Ga. after he had been murdered by a mob and his young companion Rudger Clawson lived to become president of the Twelve. Three children were born to the James Franklin and Laura Elledge union two girls who did not live to have families and the other was James Vernon McGrath who served as counselor to president Spencer W. Kimball when he was stake president in Arizona. James Alonzo died in Floral Home, Florida 29 Oct. 1925.
James FranklinMc Grath and wife Laura were here as missionaries in the later part of 1937 and gave us great assistance in organizing the district after the pattern of a stake. He had served a mission in Mississippi in his youth and been active in church work including high council work and helped us more than any person who came our way. Enroute home from this mission they bought a new car and had an accident in Texas which brought about her death in Duncan, Arizona 21 Jqn 1938.
James alonzo McGrath married a third wife Arminda Alice Hendrix and they came to Florida setteling near Flora Home, Fla. I am told there were four children born to this union. Three boys and a girl. I knew two of these boys. One of them Alonzo Lester McGrath was a branch president while I was district president here and seemed very faithful but he suddenly had some difficulty with his wife and ceased to active in the church. He is still alive and his son was put in the Gainsville Florida Stake as executive secretary when the stake was formed last Sunday.
The third wife of James Alonzo died about one year ago according to her grandson Milton Alonzo McGrath and only lacked about one month of being one hundred and five years of age. Milton Alonzo told me the McGrath family read of good possiblilities to own land here in Florida and came. The Elders continued to visit them through the years and they all remained in the church. Milton Alonzo McGrath was the son of Alonzo Lester McGrath who was son of James Alonzo McGrath who early went to Snowflake, Arizona.
My admiration for James Franklin McGrath was great. He was sound and true in the church and died 10 Jun 1961 at Duncan, Arizona. We visited him when we went to Snowflake for a visit in 1942.
This leaves us well and happy here. Michael leaves her 15 Mar 1876 for a visit with his loved ones here and there. He is schuled to enter the language training mission in Provo on 25 March and will then go to Holbrook, Arizona to labor in the mission there among the Navaho Indians. He is pleased with this calling and we are very happy. I think Ruth is pleased also.
With kindest regards I continue yours with respect.
Jas. R. Boone
06 July, 2008
Letter Pertaining to James Franklin & Laura McGrath
Posted by Raymond Mcgrath at 17:57
Labels: 1976, James Franklin McGrath, Laura Eugene Elledge McGrath
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment