09 August, 2008

Girl's Trio

When I, Myrna, was in the 8th grade in Thatcher, Arizona, tryouts were held to select singers for a girls trio. The competition was stiff but finally Frances Palmer, Jean Phillips and I were chosen. Frances sang soprano, Jean second and I sang alto.

We practiced many hours and got quite good I thought. We sang at lots of events. School programs, wedding receptions, Women's Club, Rotary Club, and many other events. We sang together for 6 years: 8th grade, 4 years of High School and one year at Gila Jr. College. Then Jean got married and that broke up the group.

Frances and I sang with others but it just wasn't the same. Probably the most memorable was the production the College presented, "The Pirates of Penzance". Frances had the lead soprano role and I had the lead alto role of Ruth. Upon graduating from Gila Jr. College (EAJC now) Frances and I tied to receive the Lela Lee Udall music award.

I could add that Frances and I sang together and also competed in many singing events since we were in 3rd grade. When we were in 6th grade the school operetta was "Hansel and Gretel" We competed for the role of the witch. We both did it. I sang the part in the matinee and Frances did the evening presentation.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really, really cool. Mom I had no idea. Laura

Anonymous said...

More stories like this one.