09 August, 2008

Our New Baby Sister...or Brother by Laura

It was the winter of 1967. December to be exact. This is going to be told as I remember it. If Roger or Mom or Dad need to edit it, they are welcome to.

Our family consisted of Dad, Mom, Laura and Karen. We knew we were going to be getting a new little sister any day. We spent time preparing little girl things and anticipating and choosing names like Carol or Holly or something very seasonal. It was exciting. A new little baby and Christmas all in the same month.

The morning came that Mom and Dad were to go to Mesa to get her, but it had begun to snow and snow and snow and snow. Really gorgeous, unless one had to drive in it. Well, they just put chains on the tires and set out. Karen and Laura stayed home to wait. When they got to Mesa Mom called to say they made it just fine and all was well. Karen and I told them that it had continued to snow and was REALLY DEEP, about 4 feet deep and that the roads were closed over the Mogollon Rim and Salt River Canyon. They were a bit concerned to say the least, but their concern over the snow melted away when they went to get the baby and SHE turned out to be a HE!

At home Karen and I kept the local radio on so we could get up-dates on road conditions and I am sure school closures, but hey, we had to check! Anyway, suddenly we heard one lone announcement that said that the road through the Salt River Canyon would be open for a limited amount of time for cars with chains or snow tires, so quickly I called Dad and told him this. They jumped in the car and headed home with our new little baby brother. It was an exciting day for all of us.

What a neat and handsome brother we had and have. Of course we had to get new little boy things for him and change the names from Carol and Holly to Roger.  Having a brother has been one of the best things in my life. I have always had a special spot in my heart for my little James Roger McGrath.

0 comments: