The next great event in my life happened at 5:07 p.m. on Monday September 27, 1976 at the Phelps Dodge Hospital in Morenci, Arizona. That night with the doctor running down the hallway to get there before baby did, our darling little Kevin Alan Thomas literally rushed into this world. He weighed in at 7 pounds 13 ounces and was 21 inches long. Almost the same as his big sister Amy.
Kevin had soft blond curls and a sweet smile. The first night he was brought to me in the hospital I felt Kevin would be a special little guy. He had trouble keeping any kind of milk down. Finally the doctors decided he could tolerate a soy formula and home we went to Duncan. Kevin was a wonderful little baby. He was so cuddley. He was happy.
He did well for about 5 months, then got a little sick. We thought he had a cold, which he was treated for but quickly it turned more serious and Kevin at 6 months old was admitted to the PD hospital in Morenci where it was determined he had pneumonia. Many tubes and moniters were hooked up to his little body. One of the mornings I went to his room I had one of the shocks of my life when I looked at him and he had a cut-down in his pale little head. We took turns staying with him. We were all very concerned with his life.
Early one morning, I desperately needed to pray. I went out to the hospital courtyard to talk to my Heavenly Father. I pleaded with him to spare Kevin's life. As I looked at the sky the day was just beginning to break, there was still a pink hue to the early morning sky and I remembered it was Easter morning and immediately thought of our Savior and how many years ago on that same morning He was resurrected. He lived again and I knew right then that my little boy would also live again. I was comforted and went back in to his room.
After two weeks of being in the PD hospital and not getting well, Kevin was sent to the University Hospital in Tucson, Arizona where it was determined he had Cystic Fibrosis. After a long 8 months, living in Tucson being with Kevin every day, we all got to go home with a long list of care instructions. We love and appreciate the doctors and nurses who cared for him, most of all Doctor Lynn Taussig and nurse Barbara Quinn.
Anyway, Kevin was a special and wonderful son. He had a hard, but happy childhood, attracting friends like bees to honey. Everyone loved him, young and old alike. He loved music and took every music class he could in school. He could never stand to see anyone go without so there were many times he gave away his coat to someone who needed it, or his money or lunch. He had a tender, loving heart. One of the people in his life he loved with as strong a love as there is was his big sister Amy. They were like twins, always playing, laughing and crying together. All their lives they spent as much time together as they possibly could.
After many years of struggling with his health, Kevin left this life on April 14, 1997 at Los Angeles, California at the age of 21 years. This was the hardest thing I as his mother have ever gone through in my life. I love and miss my little boy and look forward to the day when I can see him again and feel his arm around my shoulders and hear him say, "Love you Mom." And I can say, "Love you more."
01 September, 2008
Great Event #2 by Laura Humphreys
Posted by Anonymous at 09:21
Labels: 1976, Kevin Alan Thomas Humphreys, Laura McGrath Humphreys
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment