
On December 31st, 1988, Porter James Nay was born, but we didn't know that yet. At that time, Bruce, Rachel and I (Karen) were tubeing near the church building in Orem Utah.
Rachel was 5 years old at the time and I had taken her to gymnastics class the morning of January 3rd. While I was away, Bruce got the call from LDS Family Services telling him about our new baby boy!! Sister Peggy Eilers was the one who called and she said he was born a few days earlier (Dec, 31st) and that we could pick him up at the LDS Family Services office in Logan, Utah the next day.
When Rachel and I got home from gymnastics class, Bruce told us the news. We were SHOCKED!! Neither Dad nor I slept much that night, wondering what the future would bring. Some things we knew; we would always love him!
I don't recall what time we were to be at the agency, but I do remember we left very early in the morning. It was a clear, cold, frosty January morning. A hoar frost covered the world. It covered everything, powerlines, trees, bushes; it was beautiful! It almost seemed as if it were snow!
We arrived in Logan too early to pick PJ up so we went to a K-Mart in Logan to buy some supplies. We had a few things from when Rachel was a baby, but everything was pink! We bought some outfits; some jersey zip-front sleepers, diapers, bottles, formula, a blue crib pad, sheets, etc.
While we were shopping, an announcement came over the PA system saying, "Utah plate number _____, please turn your lights off." I didn't have our plate number memorized, but bruce knew it was ours and sheepishly returned to the car to turn them off!
After the K-Mart trip we were still to early so we went to Arby's for breakfast, but there was only 10 more minutes of breakfast time left, so we ordered lunch. I think it may have been tacos of salad with chips. I was so excited I couldn't eat all of my lunch before it was time to go to the agency.
When we got there, no one was around. We waited to be sure it was the right time. Bruce looked at his watch and it was upside down! We waited there for quite a while. Finally somebody came and opened the door. Eventually Brother Cole came and we waited a little longer with him. Then Peggy Eilers brought our new baby boy out from the other room to us! She said something like, "Look, here's your son!" as she placed him in Bruce's arms. We were so happy! We were all so happy!
On our way home, we stopped by the Christensen's house to introduce him to Sherri, Alan, and cousins Sarah and Nathan. There were so surprised and also very happy to see their new cousin!
We took him home and replaced all the pink stuff with the new, blue baby items. We said a special prayer thanking our Heavenly Father for sending such a sweet child of God to our family!



0 comments:
Post a Comment