As a youngster I loved to go with Dad to deliver Standard Oil products. He was the local wholesale Standard Oil Distributor and regularly delivered gas and oil to most of the farmers in the valley. On one particular day, we were delivering to a farm in Franklin and as we pulled up to the large tank, I jumped up on top so Dad could hand me the hose and I could fill it with Fuel.
It was during World War II and gasoline was rationed. The rationing system worked this way. As you filled a tank, you emptied a little packet of blue dye in if it was for agricultural use, i.e., tractors, combines, bailers, pick-up trucks, etc. No dye was put in the tanks if the fuel was for domestic driving. However, such gas was severely rationed.
This particular farmer began to joke with Dad, in a serious way is it turned out, to forget about the dye. That way he could use the fuel indiscriminately either for his farm machinery or for his family automobiles. He said so-and-so (the other local jobber from Clifton who delivered Shell products) didn't put the dye in so why should dad. Dad patiently explained that it was a violation of the law for him to deliver unmarked gas and credit it as fuel permitted under the more liberal farm fuel quota.
As the conversation continued, the farmer became more and more agitated and Dad continued to resist. Finally an ultimatum was given, either the dye was to be left out or the farmer's business was going to Dad's competitor.
Dad immediately told me to shut off the hose and get down, which I did. We rolled up the hose and stored it in the rack on the truck. The farmer signed the invoice, which reflected a tank only half full, we gave him a copy and left.
I can't remember whether Dad ever went back to that farm. I'm sure, however, that if he did, it was to deliver fuel according to the law, or not at all. Dad was totally honest and his steadfastness, no matter what the situation, had a great effect on my own commitment to always act truthfully and honestly in every situation.
taken from "Stories About James Vernon McGrath" by Wayne M. McGrath
0 comments:
Post a Comment