I remember as we grew up in our home, Dad was a very strict disciplinarian. He was serving as Secretary on the Smithville Canal that ran through Pima which delivered water to the farms, and was one day sitting at a table working on the books.
Donna was a young baby at that time. Mother had put her into the big wicker baby buggy. She had satrted to cry and was disturbing Dad while he was trying to do his book work. He said, "Vessa, will you please push the baby int he buggy so she will stop crying?" I was busy playing at something and didn't want to stop.
Brose who was also pretty yound was also nearby. I said, "Brose, push the baby." Brose didn't do it.
Dad said, "Vessa, I asked you to push the baby. "
I said, "I won't do it." As I said it, I got up and gave the buggy a big shove and it went through the big full length glass in a beautiful glass fronted dish cupboard Mother prized highly.
Something that Dad could not tolerate was to be told you wouldn't do something. That is the only spanking I can ever remember my Dad Giving me. I never needed another one.
I think it was the same with all us kids. We simply did not tell our parents we wouldn't do something. I can remmber other spankings or getting my legs switched with a little willow from our mother for small disobediences but nothing too bad. A mother is in contact with her children so much more than a father that she has to have something to enforce her discipline sometimes.
04 September, 2008
A Strict Disciplinarian
Posted by Rachel at 17:12
Labels: 1910s, Ray Monroe Hanchett, Vessa Leola Hanchett McGrath
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment