In His earthly ministry, the Lord counseled us to “…be of good cheer.” I often think of the blessing of having so many family members who have remained faithful and cheerful in the face of ill health. I want to especially pay tribute to three of them…Vessa, Evelyn, and Karen. These three women have been a great example to us of facing challenging and difficult times and still treating others with kindness, appreciation, and love.
My mother, Vessa, had several strokes. In the summer before her death, Mother came to Utah and spent a few weeks in Provo with Afton and Gordon and also here in Centerville with my family. She did not know where she was or who we were. Many times each day she would say “Who are you?” Each time I would answer, “I’m your daughter, Sherri.” Each time she would smile and squeeze my hand and be so happy that I was her daughter. This is actually one of my most tender memories, that every time she found out I was her daughter it made her happy. Mother was always kind, pleasant, and appreciative.
My sister, Evelyn, worked very hard to turn attention from herself and her illness to others. When I talked to her on the phone, she always wanted to tell me about her children and grandchildren or to inquire about my family and what they were doing. If you wanted to learn about Evelyn’s illness, you had to ask one of her family members. I know she often did not feel well, but she was concerned that her grandchildren see her at her best so they would not be worried or afraid. A few months before her death, she asked me to pick out a gift for her to give a dear friend who had been so much help with Jamie’s wedding.
My niece, Karen, is still an example to me as she daily faces the ravages of disease. She speaks positively and has faith in the Lord. She is concerned about others and openly expresses appreciation and love to those around her. She has enjoyed going out into her neighborhood in her wheelchair to enjoy the sunshine and beauties of nature. Karen is helping to connect the generations through family stories and pictures. She finds the good things in her life.
21 November, 2008
Be of Good Cheer
Posted by Sherri at 18:02
Labels: 2008, Evelyn McGrath Rapier, Karen McGrath Nay, Vessa Leola Hanchett McGrath
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment