21 November, 2008

Recipes

My mother, Vessa, was a very good cook who didn’t really use recipes. However, she did have a wonderful, old black cookbook, full of the most delicious things. There were also hundreds of scraps of paper with recipes she had found somewhere or had been given from friends. To me it seemed like a magical book of possibilities. I didn’t have any interest in cooking myself, but I loved what Mother could do. Sometimes I still get a taste in my mind of something special she made, like her homemade bread, divinity, or gravy. No one has ever made better gravy!! And when something didn’t turn out to be one of our favorites she would always say, “Well, that wasn’t bad for a change.”

Afton is definitely Vessa’s daughter because she, too, has always loved to cook things. Afton has taken it in a new direction, however, in that she only likes to follow the “idea” of a recipe. I’m not sure she has ever followed exactly any recipe that has been written by someone else. It seems she always changes something or adapts it in some way. I’m sure this has gotten her into some seriously questionable dishes, but it has also given her some great successes and some delightful new tastes. I have also heard her use, “…not bad for a change.”

My children's favorite thing when they were young was what the Miner's did (and I think still do) with their cold cereal. As the box of cereal gets low, they mix them all together in one box. So, while it may look like you are going to have Shredded Mini Wheats, you might actually have a mix of Cheerios, Bran Flakes, Wheat Chex, and Lucky Charms. Well, actually, probably NOT Lucky Charms, but a box of cereal at their home is always a fun adventure.

Afton has another great advantage for her cooking style, she married a gracious and cooperative man, Gordon, who has not only tolerated but admired her creativity. They are a perfect match! And they are doing something right to have remained so healthy. I guess sprinkling Lecithin on everything is a good thing!

0 comments: