19 December, 2008

The Flying Bullet Incident

In Thatcher where I lived a fire broke out in a home. The firemen were called and hastened to the scene to combat the blaze. The wife of one of the firemen, Sister Robinson, followed the firemen to watch. She parked her car in what she considered a safe distance away yet where she could see the fire.

Suddenly a bullet from the blazing house exploded, flew through the air and struck sister Robinson in the temple and lodged in her brain. She was rushed to the hospital where several doctors consulted and decided that to try to remove the bullet would be certain death for her, also they felt she had only one chance in a thousand of surviving.

At this time I was president of the primary and Sister Robinson was one of my counselors. At the next Primary meeting I told the children about what had happened and said we should say a prayer in her behalf. I asked them to stand, fold their arms, close their eyes and bow their heads and repeat the prayer as I led it.

Then the awful thought came to my mind, "What would happen to the faith of these children if she should die?! The doctors had said she had only one chance in a thousand to live." You may be sure I chose the words of the prayer very carefully! But our prayers were answered. After many days of being unconscious, sister Robinson regained her senses and lived many years. She seemingly suffered little from this ordeal and continued to give many years of service.

0 comments: