02 April, 2009

First Piano Lesson

I was turning seven and I had been bugging my parents about learning to play the piano.  At least that's what they tell me.  I don't remember asking.  Maybe it's one of those repressed memories.  I wasn't a huge fan of lessons as a kid.  Playing the piano was great; practicing... not so much!  But I'm definitely not sorry my mom wouldn't let me quit!

Anyways, my parents decided that I was ready to start learning, and for my seventh birthday, I received piano lessons!  There was a single lady in our ward that lived nearby, Sister Valentine, who taught lessons.  I was so excited!

For some reason, I remember a lot of green related to those first lessons.  As I remember, my first lesson book was green and I think even the carpet or wall paper in her piano room was green too.  I don't exactly remember.  But I do remember her having a nice, big piano--probably a baby grand--with some chips in the ivory keys.  Real ivory, what a shame!  She said her piano tuner chipped them and would replace them soon.

I didn't take lessons from her for very long.  It was probably less than a year, maybe only a few months.  She moved away somewhere.  Good thing there was another piano teacher in our ward!

0 comments: