I am going to enter a few letters written by Grandpa Vernon to his parents, Frank and Laura McGrath. Also, I will include some written to Vernon by his parents. From these letters the reader will pickup on feelings and concerns of Vernon in going to such a far distant place as Holland. Also, on his parent's feelings concerning Vernon. Remember, Vernon was the only living child of his parents so their love for him was great. Also, realize that Grandpa Frank had only a 3rd grade education. His spelling was quite rough. Vernon was in Holland from July 13, 1926 to March 4, 1929. His Mission call was extended by President Heber J. Grant.
Franklin, Ariz. July 21, 1926
Elder James V. McGrath
Crooswykschesingel 16 B
Rotterdam, Holland
Dear Vernon,
Your card write Saturday 17 on train at Jelisburg, Colo. received to-day, glad to get it and know you was well and getting along nicly, will look for your letter you said you would write from Chicago to-morrow are next day and I know I will get one written from Monteal and then I guess the next one will be from Liverpool. and then Rotterdam my you are getting along way from home just to think just to think I am sending this across the sea to you my only boy, I did not think I could ever sand it and it has been the trial of my life and I know your are very lonely and homesick, but be of good cheer Vernon God will bless and comfort you and you will do a great work I have been praying to the Lord for you all the time and have wondered why he wanted you over there and his spirit bears record to me that you have work to perform in that country and I know you will do it and be bless and take great joy in it I feel just like you will soon learn the language and be preaching to those people and with your faith you will have the help of the Lord and do a great work. I am glad you have the two Arizona boys to go with you they will seam like home folks and it wont be so lonesome. I told Aunt Lizzie Gale that went and saw her people and she tickled pink over it.
I received a letter from Mama to-day written monday her and Vessa are well but ready to come home, and had only been in Manassa two days, so I guess I will send them the money and let them come home next week.
I will send you a Money Order to-morrow are next day for $50.00 so look for it. you have never told me how to send your money so I am send it by M.O. to your Rotterdam address. if that is not the best way let me know
By the way Vernon I have a little bad news for you your Franklin Ball team played Virden Saturday and got beat 12 to 1, what do you think of that, but it will cause all by Jims mis-management. he started the game will only half of the team that he had pick there, and Virden had 10 score before the rest of the boys come.
I sent you the Copper Era to-day and will send it along from time to time also the Gazette if you want it.
Well good night will write again to-morrow are next day. Dont forget to pray.
From your loving Father.
J F McGrath
Franklin, Ariz. July 21, 1926
Elder James V. McGrath
Crooswykschesingel 16 B
Rotterdam, Holland
Dear Vernon,
Your card write Saturday 17 on train at Jelisburg, Colo. received to-day, glad to get it and know you was well and getting along nicly, will look for your letter you said you would write from Chicago to-morrow are next day and I know I will get one written from Monteal and then I guess the next one will be from Liverpool. and then Rotterdam my you are getting along way from home just to think just to think I am sending this across the sea to you my only boy, I did not think I could ever sand it and it has been the trial of my life and I know your are very lonely and homesick, but be of good cheer Vernon God will bless and comfort you and you will do a great work I have been praying to the Lord for you all the time and have wondered why he wanted you over there and his spirit bears record to me that you have work to perform in that country and I know you will do it and be bless and take great joy in it I feel just like you will soon learn the language and be preaching to those people and with your faith you will have the help of the Lord and do a great work. I am glad you have the two Arizona boys to go with you they will seam like home folks and it wont be so lonesome. I told Aunt Lizzie Gale that went and saw her people and she tickled pink over it.
I received a letter from Mama to-day written monday her and Vessa are well but ready to come home, and had only been in Manassa two days, so I guess I will send them the money and let them come home next week.
I will send you a Money Order to-morrow are next day for $50.00 so look for it. you have never told me how to send your money so I am send it by M.O. to your Rotterdam address. if that is not the best way let me know
By the way Vernon I have a little bad news for you your Franklin Ball team played Virden Saturday and got beat 12 to 1, what do you think of that, but it will cause all by Jims mis-management. he started the game will only half of the team that he had pick there, and Virden had 10 score before the rest of the boys come.
I sent you the Copper Era to-day and will send it along from time to time also the Gazette if you want it.
Well good night will write again to-morrow are next day. Dont forget to pray.
From your loving Father.
J F McGrath

0 comments:
Post a Comment