Written by Vernon's mother, Laura Elledge McGrath, while visiting in her family in Manassa, Colorado. Vernon's wife Vessa was with her. They had gone with Vernon to Salt Lake City to attend the Mission Training Program prior to leaving to go to Holland and had gone home by way of Manassa. Notice his mother's feelings of her son being so far away. Raymond
Manassa, Col0 Aug 1, 1926
My Dear Vernon,
Oh, how lonesome I am just to think you are so far away and across the big Ocean I just cry
ever night because I cant see you for two years. We will leave here on thursday Aug 5th. I know you are in Holland before this letter leaves here but I just hate to go home I will miss you so much but I will send the things to you just as soon as I get home. I wish I was with you so I could fix up your clothes.
Frank sent the money for us to come home on so I guess he is getting anxious for me to come.
Now Vernon I hope you are well and do be careful and dont get hurt or do anything to make you sick. I just worry about you every minute. How long did it take to go to Holland? Write and tell me every thing and how you like it over there.
You write to Franklin for I will be home.
Well Vernon I just cant write any thing. It justs makes me cry to try to say anything. Now be sure and write to me often for I am just dying to see you now.
I hope your papa has received the telegram saying you had arrived in Holland O.K.
With lots of love and hoping you are well.
From your Mama

0 comments:
Post a Comment