07 July, 2008

Run-away Horses

It was the 4th of July in Chandler, Arizona about 1954. Laura, Karen, Raymond and I had gone down town to watch the parade. We were standing on the sidewalk in front of our Western Auto Store when Raymond suddenly said he felt we should move back a little way. So we did. Immediately after that two horses ran through where we had been standing. They had become spooked at something and broken away from the parade and ran wildly through the crowd. Several people were hurt, and one was killed, but not us.


It was a nice summer day in Duncan, Arizona and the girls were playing in the front yard. I felt they should come into the house so I called them in. They had no sooner come inside when a team of horses got spooked and ran away from a farmer and came right into our yard. They were still dragging a double tree. They crossed the drive way and over the sidewalk breaking cement chunks from it then continued on to the other side of the yard knocking down the fence and on out to the side road. That's another time I was glad I had listened to the prompting to bring the girls in to safety.

0 comments: