19 August, 2008

Better Mind Your Mom!


When I was about seven or eight years old, we lived in a house in Duncan, Arizona.  In Duncan, it's very dry but the weeds grow very well!  We got a good crop every few days.
On this one particular day, my mom had asked me to go out and chop some weeds in the back.  But she said, "Before you go do it, please go put on some shoes and socks because you'll get stickers."  There were bull-head weeds growing in the back yard.
I said, "I don't need shoes and socks!  It's hot!  I'll be fine.  I'll just go and chop them."  So out I went to chop the weeds using a hoe.  I proceeded to chop those weeds and right away, I chopped my left foot just above my pinkie toe.
I went in crying to Mom asking for some medicine and a band-aid.  She gave me those things and a kiss on the head.  Then she told me to go put some shoes and socks on and finish chopping the weeds.
Ignoring my mom's counsel, I proceeded to keep chopping, and very soon, I chopped the other foot in the same spot.  I was horrified to see that I had done almost the same exact thing after my mom had told me to put my shoes and socks on.
I learned the hard way that I should always listen to my mom!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen..........not much I can say about that story!!!!! Very good though. Do you still have the scars? I had to laugh.
Laura