19 August, 2008

Living in "the Pit"

Bruce and I were married in 1975.  Then we spent the first summer in Caldwell, near Peggy and John Hokom.  Bruce worked for his Dad.

 At the end of the summer, he had earned enough money so we could retun to BYU in Provo for the next year of school.  We were able to find a terrific apartment in Provo in a hundred year old house.  We returned back to Idaho and lived in the basement of Bruce's parent's home for the summer after the first year.  Bruce again worked and earned enough so we could return again for the next year.

At the end of the summer of 1976, we called and tried to get that same apartment, but it was already taken.  So we ahd to search for another one.  We looked and looked and couldn't find one in our price range.  We had waited until the end of the summer because of Bruce's work, so all the good apartments were taken.

Finally, we found one near the Universty Mall.  It was more expensive than what we had paid at the hundred year old house, but it was the only one we could find.  So we contracted it, hoping we could cover it with our budget.

We moved in a week or so later.  We unloaded everything we owned from a 4X6 foot U-haul trailer and moved in.  It was quite a dark and dismal looking basement.

I didn't really like living there.  It was really depressing.  The spirit didn't feel right. I told Bruce about it and he said it felt about the same as usual to him.  We lived there for about a month.

My sister was expecting her second child in Arizona.  I decided I wanted to go down to help her after the baby was born.  Kevin was born on September 27th.  I went down to help her, leaving Bruce alone in Orem.  I was gone for about 2 weeks.

While I was gone, Bruce said that he could feel the difference in the spirit, too.  He searched around and found another basement apartment in a nice house owned by Lee and Bonnie Caldwell.  So when I returned, he took me to the new place and I never had to go back to "the pit" again.

0 comments: