Wind blowing, trees falling, rain storming. lightning flashing, thunder pounding, but that was nothing compared to the storm going on inside. Finally it all ended when a little bundle was placed in my arms. A little pink bundle with the cutest face, fingers and toes I had ever seen. I had to inspect it all to appreciate the beauty of it. My little girl, Laura, came into the world on July 27, 1951. What a joy and welcome sight! She was a delight right from the first.
Two years later her little sister, Karen, joined the family. But that's another story. Right from the first they were the best of friends. My two little girls were so sweet together and so much fun to have as our family. We spent every minute we could with them. I didn't want them out of my sight for a single moment. We took them every place we could.
At this time we were living in Duncan, Arizona. Laura was a delightful little girl. One day she wanted something to do so I said, "Why not make some mud pies?" She said, "How do you do it?" I said, "Well, you take dirt and water and mix them together and put them in the sun to dry. " She seemed satisfied with that answer and since I was busy with baby Karen I didn't think much more about it. But I kept hearing the patter of little feet in the kitchen. Imagine my surprise when I went in the kitchen a while later and found the sink full of dirt!!
Another time she was quiet for a while and when I went to look for her she had put on make-up. Beautiful red lipstick in almost the right place. She was so cute. Another time I put her down for a nap. When it was time for her to wake up I had a big surprise. Her face was all bright green. There was a tube of toothpast on the dresser within her reach and she had opened it and spread it all over her face.
Raymond and I both worked in a Western Auto Store. There was a big room upstairs where the girls played during the day. She started school in Duncan, Arizona. Mrs. Kennedy was her kindergarten teacher. When she was in 5th grade we moved to Silver City, New Mexico where Raymond and I both went to school to earn teaching degrees.
Then to Snowflake, Arizona where we lived for the next 30 years. Laura was in 8th gradeat this time. To say she had an easy life wouldn't be true. About this time she got acne. We took her to a Doctor in Mesa twice a month but nothing seemed to help. She suffered greatly with it.
After graduation from High School she went to Thatcher, Arizona to go to EAJC. There she met Tim and they married. They had two wonderful children. Amy and Kevin. But he wasn't happy with this and they were divorced. There was Laura with two small children and no support.
She took a job and lived in a very small apartment. But then disaster struck and Tim won custody of Amy. Kevin had Cistic Fibrosis. Tim didn't seem able to deal with this and the constant attention it required. Laura's life was torn apart.
She met Bob Humphreys and they were married. Bob helped her with Kevin. Several years later disaster struck again with Kevin's death. It was such a devasting blow. But she showed her great inner strength and was able to deal with it and keep a smile on her face. Amy was a great comfort to her.
She and Bob have lived in St. Johns for about 25 years and the two of them have had some great trials. They are dearly loved in the St Johns ward. Twice Laura has been chosen to be the Ward Relief Sociey President. She has met this responsibility with the same strong courage and determination she has shown through all her other trials. She is still sweet and gentle like she was as a little child.
25 August, 2008
Laura
Posted by Myrna at 20:03
Labels: 1951, Laura McGrath Humphreys
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment