31 August, 2008

Lucy Thompson Lisk-Ancestor

Dear Family,

I, Raymond McGrath, feel strongly that this conversion story of Lucy Thompson Lisk, should be read by her decendants. Lucy was born 23 Sep 1820 in Otsego, New York. She married James McFate on 26 Apr 1844. She died 17 Mar 1847 at Winter Quarters, Nebraska while on her way to the Salt Lake Valley with her husband. You will notice she died at the age of 27 years. I am using her original spelling. and punctuation.

We have waited rather impatiently some time for an answer to our letter written in February but have not got none as yet. I believe I promised to write again as soon as we should get another letter from you, but I want to tell you what we have all been about since we wrote and I guess I will not wait any longer for a letter from you.

When we sent you our last letter Olivia I believe was very sick but she got some better so that she walked about the house and did some light chores but the doctor said her complaint was on her nerves and that she would not be able to do any work this summer and we finally got discouraged as well as she for the medicine appeared to take no effect and she appared to be failing rather than gaining and she said if I must die I must and dont make me take any more medicine for it does me no good so she left it off and appeared to do as well without it. I had not got able to do anything more than to set the table or help mother wash the dishes and she had all the work to do and us to wait on besides.

But about the last of February Elijah and Elvira came to see us and wanted me to go home with them and mother said I might if I could go without taking cold so I said I will go but before we started we heard that our cousin Briggs Alden was coming to our house the next day in the character of a Mormon Elder. you may guess our astonishment and curiosity at such news. it is true we had heard that Uncle Aldens folks had joined the the Mormons about three years before but we had heard again that they left them but we could get no certain information concerning them so you may imagine that we felt some desire to know something about them as well as their doctrine.

But as I had promised to to go with Elvira we departed telling Mother if the mormon wanted to see us before we came back he must come where we were but the snow went off the next day and I had to stay a fortnight during which we heard nothing from home or the Mormon and when there came a little snow. Elijah brought me home and our folks said that B A had preached here twice and that he had then gone out to Uncle Bradfords but that he was coming back and would preach at our school house that evening.

they said he preached nothing but truth but I told them I should not take their word for it but go and hear for myself and would you believe that when I came to hear from him I was just fool enough to believe what he said because it was in the Bible. when we got home Mother asked me how I liked Mormonisn. I replied I have no fault to find with what I have heard. she then said Lucy you may depend upon it. they preach the truth.

I told her I had not heard enough to judge whether it was all truth or not. Briggs came home with us and preached at our house the next evening but I was taken more unwell than usual and could not sit up so I laid down and got to sleep and left my part of the meeting but he staid with us the next day and I had some opportunity of conversing with him and the more I heard the more fully was I convinced of the truth of the doctrine.

Mother had by this time concluded to obey the gospel and be baptized but as Olivia and I were somewhat fearful and unbelieving she concluded that she would wait till we would go with her as Elder Alden had got to leave us for a few days. He went away on thursday and on Monday mother was taken sick with the cankerrash and Olivia and I were scarcely able to take care of her and we couldnt get anyone to help as there were many sick around us so we did the best we could and she got better in a few days but as she got better Olivia grew worse but we found a good smart girl to come and help us.

Olivia was taken with the canker rash on Sunday night and Maria came to work on Monday and worked two days and then she was taken sick she complained of her throat being sore and filled up but was in hopes she should be better and would not let her folks know that she was sick so mother gave her some pills, three of which were a dose but she took twenty and they had no effect and she grew worse all the time and we thought she would die so we sent for the doctor Wenesday night about midnight when he came he said she had got the canker rash. her throat was so sore she could scarcely swallow anything and he told us to give her three more pills which would in all probablilty help her.

Olivia had taken some which operated but she could not take anything more their throats were very sore so he put on some liniment which blistered Olivias in less than ten minutes but Maria tore hers off. The doctor said if they did not get along we must let him know if so. He went away. Well Olivia did not get any better and Maria got worse. Her medicine had taken no effect and her throat grew worse and she grew sick at her stomach and on Friday we sent for the doctor again.

He came in the evening but she was so sick she could not stir without puking and her heart was beating so violently. He said he would give her someting to turn her sickness but it did not have any effect and he said her phisik must operate before she could be better. Her throat had got so full she could not take more pills so he gave Mother some croton oil and told her to rub it on her and he said it would probably operate in less than ten minutes but he waited an hour and then gave her one drop to take and left something to check its operation if it should prove too powerful and then went home saying if she does not get better let me know it.

Well I sat up with her that night and mother slept with Olivia and took care of her and I gave Maria her medicine as the Dr ordered but to my astonishment and alarm it had no more effect than so much water and she grew sicker and weaker and was still worse in the morning. We still did all we could but could not help her and after noon Orra went after the doctor again and he came and Briggs came back while Orra was gone after him.

The doctor gave Maria about twelve drops more of croton oil besides rubbing more on her then left something for her mouth and throat and told us what to give her when the oil operated for nourishment. For then she had not taken as much as a half a teacupful of any thing in four days and puked all the time most everything she did take.

Olivias throat was a little better only the blister. But she grew weaker all the time. The doctor told her she must keep as still and quiet as possible but did not give us any encouragment to think she would ever get well but said she might be be better so he left her some medicine and went away saying let me know if you dont get along.

After he left Briggs said to Olivia it is your privilege to be healed if you desire it and she said it was her desire but medicine could not do it and she would take no more. He said the gifts of prophecy, healing and tongues were in the church of Latter Day Saints. The same they were in former times and that if she would believe she might be healed. She replied that she did believe and requested him to lay his hands upon her and pray with and for her which he did. And it was about nine oclock in the evening.

She had sat up most all day in the rocking chair with pillows around her but was not able to walk around the room till about ten oclock. She arose and undressed herself alone which she had not done for more than a week and went to bed saying with a smile I shall get up and get breakfast for you tomorrow morning. We could not believe it possible.

And would you belive that when I awoke the next morning she was running up the cellar stairs with a pan full of potatoes in her hand but thank God it was so. But I found poor Maria no better. She had not had anything pass her bowels in almost a fortnight and we could not get any medicin to operate at all and it seemed as though she must die.

She said I believe I may be healed as well as Olivia and desired brother Alden to pray with her even as he had with Olivia and he complied with her request. But still to our surprise her medicine took no effect and the canker in her throat had spread even to her stomach. She would not take any medicine so we threw hers and Olivias out the window.

In the afternoon she was better and Monday she sat up most all day. In the next two days she went to work well and smart and has worked ever since.  She did not have anything pass her bowels till the next week which rather puzzles the doctors. She was with us two weeks and then went home. While Maria was sitting up Monday Mother and Olivia and myself went and were baptized having been fully convinced of the truth of the doctrines which we have embraced and are detirmined to prove faithful to the end.

The next Saturday Olivia went out and took cold which brought on a swelling in her throat that by Sunday noon threatened every moment to choke her to death so rapid was its progress. She could not even swallow a teaspoon of water though she was very hungry. There was preaching here in the afternoon and we were to be confirmed but the elders didnt get here till the congregation had collected so they waited till after the service was over and we were confirmed members of the church of latter day Saints.

They then prayed with Olivia for the restoration of her health and their prayer was granted and she is now a well hearty girl and has been ever since. Since then Olivia has been baptized and confirmed a member of the church and we believe that some others will yet do the same. Father does not appear in the least inclined to oppose us but we meet with opposition enough from other quarters I will assure you but may the Lord have mercy on them and open their eyes.

Fathers health is not as good this spring as usual but he rather gains as the weather grows warmer. Mother says tell them I am well in soul and body and if there comes any of these poor despired Mormons there receive them in the name of the Lord and God will bless you for it. Olivia says tell Aunt Harriet if she will answer this letter I will write one myself. (It was just night that they prayed for Olivia and in a little while she called to me to bring her some porridge which I did. She drinked it and soon after got up and ate a hearty supper and sat up all the evening but she had not been able to raise her head from the pillow or speak aloud all afternoon.)

I dont believe you will want another so long as this very soon or at least till you have read this. Well the way to take revenge is to write one three times as long just as quick as you can. Elvira and Angelina are well and their families. I must now bid you good bye as I have filled my paper.

Father, Mother and all send their love to you and to Grandfather and Uncle Randolph and Aunt Octavia. Give my love to them all. I have not written half I wanted to and perhaps you will think I have been more particular than interesting but I feel as though I wanted to know all that I know and if you wish to know what is true enjoyment is to become a Mormon.

Yes come out and be seperated from sinners and sin. Take the path the Saviour trod though it may be a thony one. I believe you will find many sweet flowers. Also search the scriptures carefully and prayerfully and see if these things are not so and that God may bless you and lead you into all truth is the prayer of your affectionate neice.

Lucy T. Lisk


To Miss Harriet Metcalf
Constantine
St Joseph Co
Michigan

You must not give credit to the silly and rediculous stories you hear but look to God and he will not deceive you if you put your trust in him. He will hold you up and never forsake you.

0 comments: