10 September, 2008

9-11-200l


I, Raymond McGrath, am sitting in my home in St Johns, Arizona but my thoughts have drifted back seven years ago tonight. Myrna and I had sold our home in Mesa, Arizona and were living temporarily, with Roger and Loretta in their home in Mesa. We were waiting for the departure date for our mission to the Family and Church History Mission in Salt Lake City, Utah. We were to leave the first part of October 2001. We had eaten supper and were watching a little TV before going to bed. Finally, bed time arrived and Myrna and I retired for the night. The next thing we were aware of was Roger pounding on our bedroom door and yelling, "Come! Quick!" His voice held so much fear, it frightened me very much. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. We rushed into the living room and looked at the TV just in time to see the first tower of the World Trade Center starting to crumble to the ground. The next few minutes brought a feeling of such horror our minds were numb. Within minutes, as we watched, another plane crashed into the second tower. Scenes were unfolding before our eyes none of us could believe. The rest of the day we moved about as in a trance. Nothing seemed real. We had been planning on leaving for a vacation trip before going to Salt Lake. The next morning as we packed and left for our trip we did not enjoy looking forward to our vacation. We got as far as Tucumcari, New Mexico and decided we wanted to return to Mesa. We had not experienced such feelings before nor since. The terrible destruction in New York City and surrounding area was almost too much to conceive. We returned to Roger and Loretta's until our departure for Salt Lake City a few weeks later.

1 comments:

Karen said...

I'M NOT SURE HOW THIS FIT IN WITH DAD'S POST, BUT HE DID CAL ME IN OREM ONE MORNING BEFORE I HAD GOTTEN UP FOR THE DAY. .SOUNDING QUITE UPSET. I ASKED HIM WHY HE WAS DISTRESSED I ASKED ABOUT MOM, OR SOMETHING WHICH MAY HAVE OCCURED.
HE COULD BARELY TALK AND JUST SAID DO YOU HAVE YOUR TV ON? WHEN I SAID NO HE JUST SAID TURN IT ON NOW I DID AND WATCHED A PLANE HIT THE SECOND TOWER AND FALL DOWN.
SAME THING DAD WROTE ABOUT IN HIS POST.
THAT MORNING I WAS FEELING VERY MS LIKE AND HAD STAYED IN BED AFTER BRUCE GOT UP AND GONE TO WORK. I CALLED HIM AND SAID THE SAME THING IN A MESSAGE.