For many years I, Raymond McGrath, had wanted to have a flight in a WWII bomber. Either a Boeing B-17 or a Convair B-24. I had been intrigued with these two planes since WWII when they were used so extensively. I had long ago given up on having such an experiece.
But, wait, to my surprise on Christmas Eve, 1999 while attending a family party at the home of Roger and Loretta, Roger said, "We can't wrap your gift, we'll just have to tell you what it is. How about a thirty minute ride in the Sentimental Journey? My stomach did a flip flop and I thought, "Are you kidding me?"
Roger went on to explain that he had arranged such a flight on 26 December. He and I would both be flying. Our flight was scheduled for 12:30 PM and we drove to Falcon Field in Mesa and the Confederate Air Force hanger where the Sentimental Journey was based. Upon checking in at the office we learned that they were having mechanical problems with the B-17. A couple of hours before we arrived, the B-17, coming in for a landing from a previous flight, had lost it's brakes.
So our flight was delayed until 3:00 PM. While we waited we walked to the Champlin Fighter Museum also located at Falcon Field.
This museum holds both original WWI era planes plus some from the WWII period. There is also a firearms display and various other collections. It is a very interesting museum. But then I enjoy looking at any old planes. It was a double pleasure to be able to do it with Roger.
At the appointed hour we walked back to the CAF hanger. It was not a short walk! I should explain why we walked. When we parked our car at the CAF hanger I inadvertently locked the key in the car!! Wow, my mind must have been somewhere else. We didn't have time to call Loretta so decided to wait until after our flight.
Upon arriving back at the hanger office we were informed the B-17 was indeed repaired. I thought to myself, " I sure hope they are right."
Roger and I, plus three other "riders" climbed aboard and strapped ourselves down. One man went forward to the bombardier's seat, two in the waist, and three of us in the navigator/radio man's section. I was in the radioman's seat where it was very difficult to see anything outside. Roger was in a seat right behind me.
After a few minutes of revving up the engines and checking them out we seemed to be ready to go. We started to taxi toward the runway and soon were roaring down the runway and then slowly rising into the air headed in the general direction of Four Peaks. As the plane slowly circled toward the hills and finally made a turn toward the Superstition Mountains we all had the opportunity to get out of our seats and move around the plane.
One of my first impressions was how noisy the plane was with the four engines roaring away. We were surrounded with just a very thin skin of aluminum shielding us from the outside noise and weather. I gained a new respect for the many airmen who flew these planes during WWII and the long days they spent flying their planes over enemy territory. I'm sure they returned to their bases extremely fatigued.
During our time in the air I had the opportunity to look out the waist gunners and the top gunners positions. Then through the bomb bay to the cockpit where I stood behind the copilot for a "pilot's eye" view of, not only the terrain, but also the instrument panel. I later learned that the two pilots flying the plane both flew jet liners but on their days off, flew the B-17.
After what seemed like a short time we had to return to the airport. It was my turn to move down from the cockpit and forward to the bombardier's position in the nose of the plane. What a view! It was truly exciting. As we circled over Mesa and made a turn back toward Falcon Field I had a perfect, unobstructed view of the city. The area where Myrna and I live was clearly seen. As we proceeded toward the landing strip we passed right over Roger's and Loretta's home.
As we descended toward the runway for a landing, another thought kept running through my mind. "What about the brakes? Will they work?"
It was a thrill to be sitting in the nose of the plane and watch the runway rushing towards us. Suddenly, we were touching down and rolling along the runway with the far end rapidly coming to meet us. With a feeling of relief, I could feel the brakes taking hold as the pilot applied pressure on the brake pedals.
After another short taxi back to the hanger our flight was over! But, what a great time it was. One of my long time dreams had actually come to pass. I will always be grateful to Roger and Loretta for this opportunity.
I should also mention, one of the other riders was an elderly gentlemen that was a waist gunner on the B-24 Liberator some fifty-five years ago during WWII. He was visibly moved by reliving his war experience on this short but exciting flight.
Another thought I had was "This plane is almost SIXTY years old!" But it performed admirably.
What a great experience to have had with Roger. I will remember it as long as I live.
By the way, Roger called Loretta and she drove over to the airport and then to our home where we picked up another set of car keys and Myrna. Myrna had been home feeling poorly with bronchitis. We returned to the airport, picked up our car, and all drove to Roger's and Loretta's for a late lunch.
What a day!
But, wait, to my surprise on Christmas Eve, 1999 while attending a family party at the home of Roger and Loretta, Roger said, "We can't wrap your gift, we'll just have to tell you what it is. How about a thirty minute ride in the Sentimental Journey? My stomach did a flip flop and I thought, "Are you kidding me?"
Roger went on to explain that he had arranged such a flight on 26 December. He and I would both be flying. Our flight was scheduled for 12:30 PM and we drove to Falcon Field in Mesa and the Confederate Air Force hanger where the Sentimental Journey was based. Upon checking in at the office we learned that they were having mechanical problems with the B-17. A couple of hours before we arrived, the B-17, coming in for a landing from a previous flight, had lost it's brakes.
So our flight was delayed until 3:00 PM. While we waited we walked to the Champlin Fighter Museum also located at Falcon Field.
This museum holds both original WWI era planes plus some from the WWII period. There is also a firearms display and various other collections. It is a very interesting museum. But then I enjoy looking at any old planes. It was a double pleasure to be able to do it with Roger.
At the appointed hour we walked back to the CAF hanger. It was not a short walk! I should explain why we walked. When we parked our car at the CAF hanger I inadvertently locked the key in the car!! Wow, my mind must have been somewhere else. We didn't have time to call Loretta so decided to wait until after our flight.
Upon arriving back at the hanger office we were informed the B-17 was indeed repaired. I thought to myself, " I sure hope they are right."
Roger and I, plus three other "riders" climbed aboard and strapped ourselves down. One man went forward to the bombardier's seat, two in the waist, and three of us in the navigator/radio man's section. I was in the radioman's seat where it was very difficult to see anything outside. Roger was in a seat right behind me.
After a few minutes of revving up the engines and checking them out we seemed to be ready to go. We started to taxi toward the runway and soon were roaring down the runway and then slowly rising into the air headed in the general direction of Four Peaks. As the plane slowly circled toward the hills and finally made a turn toward the Superstition Mountains we all had the opportunity to get out of our seats and move around the plane.
One of my first impressions was how noisy the plane was with the four engines roaring away. We were surrounded with just a very thin skin of aluminum shielding us from the outside noise and weather. I gained a new respect for the many airmen who flew these planes during WWII and the long days they spent flying their planes over enemy territory. I'm sure they returned to their bases extremely fatigued.
During our time in the air I had the opportunity to look out the waist gunners and the top gunners positions. Then through the bomb bay to the cockpit where I stood behind the copilot for a "pilot's eye" view of, not only the terrain, but also the instrument panel. I later learned that the two pilots flying the plane both flew jet liners but on their days off, flew the B-17.
After what seemed like a short time we had to return to the airport. It was my turn to move down from the cockpit and forward to the bombardier's position in the nose of the plane. What a view! It was truly exciting. As we circled over Mesa and made a turn back toward Falcon Field I had a perfect, unobstructed view of the city. The area where Myrna and I live was clearly seen. As we proceeded toward the landing strip we passed right over Roger's and Loretta's home.
As we descended toward the runway for a landing, another thought kept running through my mind. "What about the brakes? Will they work?"
It was a thrill to be sitting in the nose of the plane and watch the runway rushing towards us. Suddenly, we were touching down and rolling along the runway with the far end rapidly coming to meet us. With a feeling of relief, I could feel the brakes taking hold as the pilot applied pressure on the brake pedals.
After another short taxi back to the hanger our flight was over! But, what a great time it was. One of my long time dreams had actually come to pass. I will always be grateful to Roger and Loretta for this opportunity.
I should also mention, one of the other riders was an elderly gentlemen that was a waist gunner on the B-24 Liberator some fifty-five years ago during WWII. He was visibly moved by reliving his war experience on this short but exciting flight.
Another thought I had was "This plane is almost SIXTY years old!" But it performed admirably.
What a great experience to have had with Roger. I will remember it as long as I live.
By the way, Roger called Loretta and she drove over to the airport and then to our home where we picked up another set of car keys and Myrna. Myrna had been home feeling poorly with bronchitis. We returned to the airport, picked up our car, and all drove to Roger's and Loretta's for a late lunch.
What a day!

1 comments:
What a cool experience! I think I'm jealous!
Post a Comment