07 September, 2008

Baseball

Baseball has always been and still is my favorite love when it comes to sports. I played in the summers and I played in high school. When I worked for O. G. O'Dell in the summers on his hay baler, between loads of hay, his son Douglas and I would get our horses and ride to my Dad's store, pitch a few baseballs to each other and be back to the field for the next load.

I have always felt that if I had been allowed to try, I could have made big league baseball.

The above words from Vernon's life sketch were true to the end of his life. I (Sherri) have many, many memories of listening to baseball games on the radio with Dad. At World Series time, especially, the radio was always tuned to the game. I, too, learned to love the baseball because of his influence. He was an American League fan and his favorite team was the Pittsburgh Pirates. Maybe that was because it was the team where Vernon Law played. Dad admired him and followed his career with interest. He was also thrilled to get to see Harmon Kilebrew in person at one of the pre-season games in Scottsdale. In fact, every time I watch a professional baseball game I look at the catcher (which Dad always dreamed he could be) and wonder how all of our lives would have been different if he had fulfilled his fantasy.

0 comments: