The cotton gin was a big part of our lives, especially during the fall ginning season. We spent lots of time there and Dad and I (Sherri) both loved the big old freezer-box style pop machine. I don't think I was ever in that gin office without us having a bottle of pop. I also loved to walk around the gin and check things out with him. He would let me get up on the catwalks with him when the gin wasn't operating, but was very careful about letting me in when the gin was running. I always wanted to get in a cotton wagon and run the big metal tube that sucked the seed up into the gin. However, he never felt like I was big enough not to be in danger in the wagon. He always had the worry of a fire at the gin on his mind and he could smell burning cotton even from our house. He would even occasionally awaken in the night and call his watchman because he could smell fire.
07 September, 2008
The Duncan Valley Cotton Gin
Posted by Sherri at 18:30
Labels: 1950s, James Vernon McGrath, Sherri McGrath Christensen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I remember the clear glass hoppers the cotton would go in to. i enjoyed getting out a cotton ball and working the seeds out. lots of cotton balls.
big room with lots of noisy machinery. couldn't hear the people you were with trying to explain things. just had to watch and figure out what it was doing to the cotton, combing, deseeding ,cleaning, etc
Post a Comment