07 September, 2008

Funerals

From Afton:
It amazes me as I think of the number of funerals at which Dad spoke. Mormon funerals, Baptist funerals, Methodist funerals--did he ever talk at a Catholic funeral? He always said that it was possible to quote the Book of Mormon at any funeral...you just say "In the scriptures." I think Dad probably had as much religious influence on the Duncan valley as any one man could. He didn't push religion on anybody but everybody knew where he stood and admired him for the way he lived as well as professed his religion.

From Sherri:
Dad and Mom were in a unique position for close friendships with the Methodist ministers because the church and parsonage were directly across the street from us. They were always neighborly and kind. I remember one minister when I was in high school who was NOT popular with his congregation. The local congregation had asked for a change so this gentleman was moving. The morning he and his wife left Duncan Dad, Mom and I were the ones standing on the street in front of the parsonage waving goodbye to them as they left.

It was also the local Methodist minster who provided the printed copies of "How Great Thou Art" for each of the family members to have after it was sung at Dad's funeral.

When I was in the 8th grade, Mrs. Mildred Clark was my teacher. During that school year, Mrs. Clark's father died. His funeral was to be in the Methodist Church across the street from our home and Dad was to participate on the program. My folks thought I should go, but I thought it was too hard to go to a funeral. Dad talked with me about being sensitive to the feelings of others and doing things even though they were hard to do. I did attend the funeral and the only other student in attendance was Jimmy Claredge, who was there with his dad. I'll never forget the following Monday at school, Mrs. Clark talked to Jimmy and I and with tears in her eyes expressed her appreciation for our kindness to her by attending that funeral.

0 comments: