Grandpa Frank McGrath and Aunt Mae
I didn’t know my grandmother, Laura Eugene Elledge McGrath, because she passed away before I was born. On May 12, 1941, my grandfather, Frank, married Mae Gale Wilkins, a widow he had known in Franklin. They lived in Mesa, just a block from the Arizona Temple. I loved visiting their home for some very specific reasons. First, they had a huge wooden rocking chair with red leather upholstery. I thought it was the biggest rocking chair in the world. I loved sitting in it and rocking for hours on end. I do think I sometimes irritated Aunt Mae, because I do have vague memories of getting in trouble there. I have that chair in my home now. It has been re-upholstered a couple of times, but it is the beloved chair that belonged to Grandma Laura. As a final comment, the chair is regular size, but I still love it.
The second thing I loved is that they had a television set long before we had one. The only thing I felt bad about is that often when we would arrive they would turn the TV off to visit. It was only occasionally when we were there long enough or when they were tending me while my parents went to the temple that I would get to watch it. Of course, it was a black and white set, but it felt like the greatest thing to me.
The third thing that intrigued me about Grandpa’s home was the date palm trees in the back yard. I loved that they were so tall, that they had such a harsh, textured trunk, and mostly that they had delicious dates. I have no memory of when dates are harvested, but coming into the house to find fresh dates to eat was a thrill.
I also loved that occasionally they would walk me over and let me play around on the temple grounds. I have fond memories of the reflecting pool. I believe, if I am remembering correctly, that the visitors’ center was not originally there because I can see the temple, the pool, and the wide expanse of grass surrounded by the palm trees. I thought there was no more beautiful place on earth. I loved the walkway from the main entrance up to the temple, too. I knew this was a special and reverent place, but they were patient to let me sit on those benches and look into those pools.
Grandpa and Aunt Mae also had a really “cool” car. I remember that it was silver/grey, had a little rounded shape, and a tiny back window, but I don’t know what kind it was. It seemed much more interesting than whatever we were driving and I loved to see it pull up in front of our house when they visited.
Grandpa also lived with us in the months before he passed away. I know my mother was very willing to care for him, but I also know that it was a stressful time. His mind was not clear during those times and he often conducted meetings and church business. Aunt Mae would occasionally go back to Mesa to have a little relief. One memory I have during a particular stressful time, shortly before he died, when Aunt Mae had returned from Mesa. That night as we had family prayer someone began to get the giggles. Pretty soon it was contagious and we were all out of control to the point of tears. Aunt Mae was very disappointed in us and I hope she realized that it was just because of the stress because we surely did love Grandpa.
I didn’t know my grandmother, Laura Eugene Elledge McGrath, because she passed away before I was born. On May 12, 1941, my grandfather, Frank, married Mae Gale Wilkins, a widow he had known in Franklin. They lived in Mesa, just a block from the Arizona Temple. I loved visiting their home for some very specific reasons. First, they had a huge wooden rocking chair with red leather upholstery. I thought it was the biggest rocking chair in the world. I loved sitting in it and rocking for hours on end. I do think I sometimes irritated Aunt Mae, because I do have vague memories of getting in trouble there. I have that chair in my home now. It has been re-upholstered a couple of times, but it is the beloved chair that belonged to Grandma Laura. As a final comment, the chair is regular size, but I still love it.
The second thing I loved is that they had a television set long before we had one. The only thing I felt bad about is that often when we would arrive they would turn the TV off to visit. It was only occasionally when we were there long enough or when they were tending me while my parents went to the temple that I would get to watch it. Of course, it was a black and white set, but it felt like the greatest thing to me.
The third thing that intrigued me about Grandpa’s home was the date palm trees in the back yard. I loved that they were so tall, that they had such a harsh, textured trunk, and mostly that they had delicious dates. I have no memory of when dates are harvested, but coming into the house to find fresh dates to eat was a thrill.
I also loved that occasionally they would walk me over and let me play around on the temple grounds. I have fond memories of the reflecting pool. I believe, if I am remembering correctly, that the visitors’ center was not originally there because I can see the temple, the pool, and the wide expanse of grass surrounded by the palm trees. I thought there was no more beautiful place on earth. I loved the walkway from the main entrance up to the temple, too. I knew this was a special and reverent place, but they were patient to let me sit on those benches and look into those pools.
Grandpa and Aunt Mae also had a really “cool” car. I remember that it was silver/grey, had a little rounded shape, and a tiny back window, but I don’t know what kind it was. It seemed much more interesting than whatever we were driving and I loved to see it pull up in front of our house when they visited.
Grandpa also lived with us in the months before he passed away. I know my mother was very willing to care for him, but I also know that it was a stressful time. His mind was not clear during those times and he often conducted meetings and church business. Aunt Mae would occasionally go back to Mesa to have a little relief. One memory I have during a particular stressful time, shortly before he died, when Aunt Mae had returned from Mesa. That night as we had family prayer someone began to get the giggles. Pretty soon it was contagious and we were all out of control to the point of tears. Aunt Mae was very disappointed in us and I hope she realized that it was just because of the stress because we surely did love Grandpa.

0 comments:
Post a Comment