21 November, 2008

Thatcher Ward Clerk


From Vessa’s history:

I think it was while I was a junior in high school that my father was made bishop of the Thatcher Ward. My father served as bishop until two or three years after I was married. Times were pretty hard and as soon as school was out so many of the men and boys in the ward would leave to try and find summer work to have extra money to help them through the winter. They were really having a hard time trying to keep a ward clerk. Finally, Spencer W. Kimball, who was the St. Joseph Stake clerk at that time, asked my father if he thought I would make a good ward clerk if they could get one of the older men to keep the priesthood rolls. My dad said we could try it, so I was sustained as the Thatcher Ward Clerk when I was a junior in high school. I kept this position until after I was married and Vernon had gone on his mission.

0 comments: