31 December, 2008

Cake Anyone?

I don't remember exactly when this event happened.  I'm thinking it was probably sometime while I was in high school?  Anyways, that doesn't really matter.

I needed a cake for some situation.  It might have been someone's birthday, or maybe it was something for a youth activity or a class at school.  As I thought about what I'd make, I decided that I would try my hand at making one from scratch, for the first time.  I'd been making cakes from boxes for a long time.   How much harder could it be to make one from scratch?  My favorite kind at the time was chocolate, so chocolate it was!


My brother, PJ wasn't around while I was making it and I was afraid that he wouldn't know that the cake had an actual purpose outside of family eating, so as I was taking it out of the oven, I told my Mom to tell him not to eat it or even touch it.  I needed to do my homework and was going upstairs to my room.

An hour or so later, I hear a knock on my door.  PJ asked in a slightly unsure voice, "Um, what did you make downstairs?"  


"Chocolate cake, and DON'T EAT IT!" I answered... probably a little sharper than I should have.  I was protective of my cake.


"Okay. I won't!" He responded.  I was a little surprised because his answer made it sound like it was the least problem in the world to avoid eating that cake. 


After I was finished with my homework, I came back downstairs to the kitchen.  My Mom was in there and she cautiously said, "I'm sorry, but PJ tasted a tiny corner of your cake before I told him you were making it for something.  He said something was funny with it.  Did you forget to add something?"


I have to admit, at first I was a little upset that he had eaten some of it (really, it was just a teensy, tiny crumb piece that had crumbled off.  Icing would have covered it right up), and offended that someone had found something wrong with it. 

But boy, was I glad that he did!  I can't remember for sure if my Mom had also tasted it a bit before or after I came downstairs, but we decided that I had forgotten the sugar--probably the most important ingredient in the recipe!! 

Can you imagine serving that cake?  Serving it anywhere?  At home is one thing, you can easily laugh it off.  But imagine taking it somewhere as the special treat!  I am so glad that my brother "tested" it!

It tasted awful!  The cake looked so beautiful and perfect, but looks can be deceiving.  I had to throw the entire cake into the trash can.  I was so upset!  I can't remember if I made something else, or just decided to give up. 


Over the years, I've made other baking errors, but none quite as catastrophic as forgetting to add sugar to that chocolate cake!

0 comments: