I, Raymond, ran across a short article today, describing Deliliah Sophronia Stewart McGrath, the wife of James Alonzo McGrath. I had not seen this information before, it being mixied in with a lot of other old papers I got when my mother passed away. I don't know who wrote it and the story was not completed on the paper I have. I would like to find "the rest of the story."
Delilah
Delilah Stewart was born in Rock Mills, Alabama on the 27 March 1856. Her parents were Alexander Stewart and Rebecca Burke Stewart. Alexander and Rebecca had six children, five boys and one girl, Delilah. Their first two children were twin boys. They died soon after birth, and Rebecca, the mother died when the children were young. Delilah was four years old. Alexander raised his children with the help of negro servants in a large, comfortable home.
When Alexander decided to join with other emigrants that were moving west, the change was difficult for Delilah. The western country was strange and frightening to her. However, her father was determined to leave the south. The southern states were in shambles after the war, and he also wanted more freedom of religious worship, which were not then possible in the south.
Delilah was timid, gentle and a sensitive person. She was slender and her height was about 5 ft. 4 in. She had dark hair and her eyes were grayish blue. Her husband and those who loved her called her Lylie. It was said of her four daughters, Belle, resembled her the most.
Delilah met James Alonzo McGrath soon after he lost his first wife. They were married in Taylor, Arizona the 9th of February 1879. Deliliah was 23. James was 25. They started life together in the rugged style of pioneer life. They lived in covered wagons, tents, dugouts, and log cabins. They worked..................
21 July, 2008
Delilah Stewart McGrath
Posted by Raymond Mcgrath at 20:09
Labels: 1856, Delilah Stewart McGrath
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment