09 July, 2008

Velda Hancock and the Big Black Dog

It was while we were living near Eden that Mother and I went to buy some fruit to can.  The road led up the dry sandy river bed a mile or so.  We would cross the river and come out at the lane that led to our house.  A storm was coming up and it hit us just as we got into the river bed.  It was a terrible sand storm.  It came with such force that the road was all covered up.  The sand stung my bare legs and face and the horse became so frightened and panicky.  We were hopelessly lost and it was getting dark.  Mother told me to pray and I'm sure she did the same while trying to calm the horse.  Soon there came a big black dog that met us, turned us around an led us out of the river bottom.  The horse calmed down and followed the dog.  It led us home.  We had never seen the dog before and never saw it since.  I know Heavenly Father sent the dog to rescue us.

0 comments: