09 July, 2008

Velda Hancock and the Broken Doll

One day I took my baby sister Lexie for a ride in our little red wagon. It was soon after Christmas. I had gotten a big wax doll with hair. I prized it very much. I carried it along too. We went into the cornfield that had not yet been cut down. I left Lexie in the wagon while I was hunting for corn dolls. I was so interested, but Lexie cried. I went back and let her hold my doll if she would not cry. But she cried again so I went to her again. Just before I got to her I spied a door knob. I picked it up thinking what a nice plaything for her. That would surely keep her quiet. I gave it to her and went back. She cried again, and again I went to her. To my horror, I found she had broken my beautiful doll with the door knob. So now I had no doll. My older sisters were playing with rag dolls. I waned one of them so badly, but they would not give me even one so I went crying to Mother. She got out her blue scrap bag and made me a rag doll with a little green jacket. It became so very precious to me.

1 comments:

Rachel said...

Gpa and Gma, do you know when this story took place?